The Logistics Guide is a companion piece to other materials that help you prepare for your role as an Audit Coordinator:
The Story of Rachel (4-minute captioned DVD) dramatically depicts the events set in motion by one battered woman’s call to 911. It helps deepen a Safety Audit team’s understanding of the complex relationship between battered women and the systems they turn to for help. Available for order on the Praxis website.
The Story of Sameera (8-minute captioned DVD) shows what happens when an abused immigrant woman (who is not fluent in English) is drawn into systems that are meant to help her, following a neighbor’s call to 911. From the criminal case, to civil protection options, to the child protection investigation, to immigration options, to her child’s school, Sameera faces challenges and powerful influences of family and community that complicate the possibility of moving toward a violence-free life. Available for purchase from Praxis website.
The Safety and Accountability Audit Informational Video (14-minute DVD) provides an overview of the Safety Audit method, along with commentary from practitioners around the country who participated in the process. Available for purchase from Praxis website.
The Praxis Safety and Accountability Audit Toolkit (manual with videos) is the basic guide to the Audit method and its process of gathering and analyzing data. The Toolkit’s templates, illustrations and worksheets outline the Audit’s philosophical underpinnings, clarify the data collection steps and methodologies, and provide a knowledge base for the team’s work. Available for purchase from Praxis website.
Institutional Analysis (I.A.): Matching What Institutions Do with What Works for People (packet including articles, DVD with videos, and a CD with electronic resources) describes to agency leaders the value and process of using I.A. Three DVDs and one CD accompany the resource, including an electronic version of Institutional Analysis: Making Changes from Below, written by Dorothy Smith with input from Ellen Pence, focusing on I.A. as a scientific methodology of analyzing institutions as they intersect in the lives of people who are mostly marginalized. Smith describes how I.A. identifies specific practices used by institutions that create gaps between those institutions and the people needing their services.
Text Analysis as a Tool for Coordinated Community Response: Keeping Safety for Battered Women and Their Children at the Center (manual) guides a coordinated community response team through a process of examining the gaps between the safety needs of battered women and how an institution has organized its workers through “text” to respond to domestic assaults. It provides Safety Audit Coordinators with a more detailed understanding of how to approach text analysis.
Essential Skills in Coordinating Your Community Response to Battering: An E-Learning Course for CCR Coordinators—We highly recommend that Coordinators complete this 16-hour e-learning course that offers critical guidance and strategies for managing and facilitating an interagency team. Available for purchase from Praxis website.
Audit Coordinator Community Assessment Institute, the most direct, hands-on preparation for an Audit Coordinator is to attend our 4-day event. If attending an Institute is not possible, the materials listed above will be essential reading and will help give you a solid footing.
- Domestic Violence Best Practice Assessment Guides
- Supporting the Safety of Battered Mothers and Their Children Together: A Guide to Assessing Child Protection Practice in Domestic Violence-Related Cases
- Blueprint for Safety – Comprehensive assessment of the criminal legal system’s response to domestic violence that results in the adaptation, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of model policies.
- Accounting for Risk and Danger (Battered Women’s Justice Project)
- Civil Protection Order System (Battered Women’s Justice Project)
- Response to Elder Abuse (National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life)
- Fatality Review and Safety Audits (FRASA)
- Are We Making a Difference? Sexual Assault Response Teams Assessing Systems Change, A Resource for Multidisciplinary Team Leadership (Sexual Violence Justice Institute @ MNCASA)
- A SART Coordinator’s Guidebook for Case File Review (Sexual Violence Justice Institute @ MNCASA)
- What Can We Talk About? A Guidebook for How Sexual Assault Response Teams Discuss Sexual Assault Cases (Sexual Violence Justice Institute @ MNCASA)