Praxis International is currently hiring for the following position(s):
Praxis International is a nonprofit training and technical assistance organization that works to eliminate violence in the lives of women and children through local, statewide and national social justice initiatives. Praxis centers an equity approach in its programs and operations. Praxis’ methods of institutional analysis and community assessment have been used by communities, territories and tribes across the country to examine responses to sexual and domestic violence. These methods have been used to improve institutional responses by the criminal and civil legal systems, advocacy programs, supervised visitation centers, and child welfare. Praxis promotes social change advocacy at the individual, institutional and community levels by engaging with gender-based violence programs and communities. Praxis works every day to eliminate all forms of oppression in society. We strive to provide a supportive and dynamic work environment for social activists while strengthening connections with all those who want to join us in this essential work.
Posted February 18, 2019
Job Title: Accountant
Closing Date: Open until filled
Primary Duties: The Accountant works with the Finance & Administration Director and Executive Director to ensure that Praxis maintains fiscally responsible operations and programs. The Accountant applies their considerable knowledge of and skill in accounting to assist the Finance & Administration Director to develop, implement and maintain efficient finance systems for Praxis that are in line with best practices. The Accountant is responsible for assisting with the preparation and oversight of budgets, compiling reports and maintaining financial records. The Accountant also assists with organization audits, reviews and taxes as well as helping to develop and implement financial policies and procedures for general compliance. This position reports to the Finance & Administration Director.Show More
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- In consultation with the Finance & Administration Director, the Accountant has primary responsibility for the processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- In consultation with the Finance & Administration Director, the Accountant has primary responsibility for the processing and recording of payroll.
- The Accountant has primary responsibility for preparing organizational and funder reports as well as maintaining financial records.
- In consultation with Finance & Administration Director, the Accountant has primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger and completing journal entries.
- The Accountant assists with budget preparation and monitoring, including preparing and maintaining financial worksheets as well as creating monthly and quarterly variance reports.
- The Accountant has primary responsibility for fixed assets and managing product inventory.
- The Accountant works with all staff and Board to support and implement the vision, mission and values of Praxis.
a) Work cooperatively with Praxis staff, Board, consultants and constituents.
b) Participate in regular meetings with other staff.
c) Promote and address accessibility in programming and operations.
d) Foster a social change approach that centers anti-oppression and equity while working to end gender-based violence.
The following qualifications in education and experience are key for a successful Accountant at Praxis:
- Excellent knowledge of general accepted accounting principles;
- Demonstrated experience with accounting procedures specific to non-profit organizations;
- A thorough understanding of the intricacies of finance and accounting, especially in a non-profit setting;
- Comfort working with numbers, spreadsheets and a variety of reporting formats;
- Expert knowledge and skill in MS Excel software;
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks software;
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills
- Flexibility and the ability to balance multiple deadlines in a small, team-oriented, fast-paced office;
- A social justice orientation and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds and communities;
- Strong interpersonal skills, humor and compassion; and
- Strong oral and written communication as well as meticulous attention to detail.
- Associate Degree in accounting, business or related field, Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred; and
- At least three to five years of experience in accounting and finance; OR
- Any combination of education, experience and measurable performance that demonstrates the capability to successfully perform the duties of this position.
This is a full-time, exempt position with excellent benefits including holiday, vacation and sick leave as well as health, dental, disability insurance and retirement contributions. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
Location & Hours:
The Accountant works out of the Praxis International St Paul, MN office. Hours are generally 8 am to 4:30 pm.
Candidates should email the following as PDF attachments to:
1. Cover letter
2. Resume detailing qualifications and experience
3. Three to five business references
Survivors are encouraged to apply. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant reviews begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls or email inquiries please.