In 2007, she was a member of the Praxis audit team that conducted a Safety and Accountability Audit in Saint Paul, Minnesota. The audit led to the development of Saint Paul’s Blueprint for Safety. Maren continues to serve as key project staff on the Blueprint for Safety Demonstration Project.
Earlier at Praxis, Maren managed the Office on Violence Against Women’s Safe Havens: Supervised Visitation and Safe Exchange Demonstration Initiative, which included facilitating and coordinating Praxis Safety and Accountability Audits at 4 demonstration sites. She co-developed numerous training and education materials addressing supervised visitation and safe exchange in the context of violence against women.
Maren took a year off in 2003 to live at a Dharma Center in rural New Mexico. Since then, she’s become the mother of 2 spirited daughters with whom she loves to wrestle, go on walking adventures, and read.
Although she’s now based in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota, her heart’s home is in Duluth, next to Lake Superior. She is a cross-country skier, biker, and running fanatic who also enjoys knitting, playing guitar, and kneading bread dough.
Maren’s work in the movement to end violence against women began in northern Minnesota in 2000 when she served as coordinator of an extensive community-based analysis of the U.S. criminal justice system’s response to violence against Indigenous women.
- Volunteers as a trained birth doula with Isis Rising, a doula program for incarcerated women sponsored by Everyday Miracles, a small non-profit that provides free prenatal care and birth support to teens and low-income women
- Participated on U.S. Justice Department’s Office on Violence Against Women’s National Steering Committee on supervised visitation and safe exchange from 2004 – 2006
- Peer reviewer for U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women
- Volunteered at a crisis nursery for children
- Volunteered with a battered women’s shelter to provide on-call advocacy for women whose partners had been arrested
- Editor and contributor to Building Safety, Repairing Harm – Lessons and Discoveries from the Office on Violence Against Women’s Safe Havens: Supervised Visitation and Safe Exchange Grant Program – Demonstration Initiative
- Engaging with Battered Women in Supervised Visitation Centers
- Engaging with Men Who Batter in Supervised Visitation Centers
- Building the Practice of Orientation in Supervised Visitation and Safe Exchange: A Trainers Guide